Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Diabetes?

So as every pregnant women knows you have to go through a diabetes test in which you have to drink a somewhat nasty orange drink and then go in for a blood test to see how you process the sugars. Well a couple of weeks ago i drank the nasty orange drink (which i think i would describe as drinking a orange sugary syrup) and went in for my doctor appointment to get tested. Well part of the test is that you have to have your blood drawn exactly 1 hour after you drink the stuff, so i get to the doctor and tell them I'm there for my appointment and for the blood draw, i also make sure to mention exactly when i finished the drink. Well John and i wait for about 5-10 min and the nurse calls me back and first question is "did you tell them you drank the drink" and I'm thinking um duh of course I did as you only emphasised the importance of that 4 or 5 times at the last appointment. Well i tell her i did and then i tell her when i drank the stuff and she says oh we should be good as long as we draw you right away. So i get the blood drawn and all is well and my appointment continues as always. Which was so good as the Dr took a long time with us showing us pictures of the boy and we even got to see him yawn. I guess he was sleepy. The Dr also showed us how he had he feet up right next to his head, yup my boy is going to be a gymnast.

Anyways i get a call later that day informing me that i failed my preliminary glucose test and would be required to take the three hour blood test. They sent me information in the mail about what would be required for me to take this three hour blood test. i would be required to be on a special "diet" for 3 days and then come in for my blood test on day 4 when fasting. so this diet required me to eat breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and a snack. it also required me to eat so much starch, milk, sweets, veggies and protein at each meal. Well this is more food than i normally eat. so last week Thursday i went in for a blood draw and a shot at my Dr for something else. Then i went into the hospital lab to start my test. I go in and it all is going well and good. I had my first blood draw and my drink and i sat down to read my book. So I'm reading my kindle and enjoying my book and then I have my second blood draw (hour 1) then hour 2 comes up and i didn't really notice the time until about a half hour past when i should have seen a technician again. Well i thought maybe they wait longer for the second draw as i really don't know what to expect. Well i was wrong as they came in 15 min later and said they would have to completely redo the test as apparently they forgot to come and draw my blood so i got a whole $10 gift card to pick n save for my time and energy. Well I'm sorry i was so pissed as a $10 gift card does not give me back the half day of vacation time i used up to go in for this test.

So i had to go back in for the test again, back on the diet for another couple of days and John went with me in on Saturday morning bright and early. We got there about 15 min after the lab opened and we brought our laptop so we could watch movies as we waited in between blood draws. So we watched inception and set up our cells to alert us every 55 min so we could make sure each draw happened at exactly 1 hour intervals. Well this time the blood draws all went according to plan and we went home to await the results. Well i got the call Monday morning that yay i had passed and no diabetes for me. This pregnancy really has been very easy in terms of symptoms and pains but trying in all the tests and having to deal with the complications of getting pregnant and then having issues with each test I'm required to take afterwards.

I guess i'll have to accept the few things that are annoying, and enjoy the rest that is far easier then i had expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment