Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Birth Story

I realize i never finished writing Brayden's birth story. So you all know that we went into the hospital on May 17th due to an interesting stress test. I immediately called into work to let them know that i wasn't going to be coming in for a while :) and give them the list of things that they needed to take care of (inform my temp, pick up our broken printer, and attend a meeting i was suppose to be a part of), lucky for me they were able to handle it all and i actually got scolded when i was responding to emails that day lol. I also tried to contact my parents as much to my poor planning they were in Chicago for the day at a conference (and i had agreed that i would wait to have the baby till they came back in 2 days, sorry mom and dad guess i lied) well since they were at the conference they weren't answering their phones. So i called and called and texted and called and finally emailed hoping they would get the message as i really didn't want them to miss this. they finally called me back (well actually she called john thinking i would be having contractions and not able to talk) and we explained what was going on and that they should come home but wouldn't need to rush home as it probably wouldn't be a baby until the next day.

Well when we went in we were told that i was going to be induced and i was hooked up to pictocin. The nurse forwarned us that it be take overnight before the real labor would start, and to setting in for a long process. I was on the pictocin to start the labor process for about an hour and supposedly was having contractions every 10 minutes (luckily i didn't feel them). when all of a sudden a nurse came in and took me off the pictocin and said the doctor would be in to see me shortly. John and i were a bit confused as to what was going on but we were completely OK with taking things as they came. This is when i called my mom and updated her on the situation and it was then decided that they would come home that day, but they had to figure out the train situation.

the doctor came in and explained that he had consulted with a few other doctors in regards to my unicorn uterus and it was decided that if i were to be induced there was a higher chance my uterus could rupture and cause many many problems. So instead of being induced i was put on the list for a c section. We were informed that there were a high number of c sections on the books for that day so we would have to wait a while. We were the 6th in line of 7 for the evening. It turns out we waited all day until 7:30 at night when it was finally our turn. It was about 6:30 when my parents finally arrived and my dad surprised me by coming home too. He was saying he was thinking about staying at the conference but knew he couldn't miss this even. So my guests and john and i hung out till it was c section time. It was a room full of loves ones eagerly awaiting the new arrival.

Finally, John and i were taken back to the operating room and john had to be dressed in his full scrubs (he sure did look cute in them) and i was taken into the OR alone to get my spinal and get prepped. The doctor and the nurses did a great job of keeping me calm and having me laugh and joke as they prepared things. It was finally time and John came in and sat down and i was cut open, it feels like it was only seconds until they were showing me my beautiful baby boy. i remember seeing him and having a tear fall down my cheek, i was so relieved and blessed that he came out so healthy and great. John informs me though that i was quite the bleeder as he stood up at one point and saw a pool of blood at the doctors feet and had to sit down before he passed out. After a while i finally had to ask the doctor if he was almost done closing me up as i was starting to feel some pressure on my insides, well turns out the doctor was playing around wanting to see first hand what a unicorn uterus looked like. Turns out the diagnosis was correct as the doctor verified.

Baby bray was born just a wiggly as he is today, and immedately peed on the nurse to say welcome to the world.

John went off with baby white (no name at that time) while i went off to the recovery room, since they had so many c sections that day babies could not be in the small recovery room as there were multiple moms there at the time. I took a bit of a nap in the recovery room coming off the drugs.

Baby bray was taken to the nursery to be cleaned up and have his vitals checked. He was given an apgar score of 9 wich is almost perfect. He got to see his daddy, grandma, and great grandma in the nursery windows. The only thing missing was a chance to see mommy.

when i was finally taken back to my room it was probably another 30 minutes until they brought the baby in. I remember asking john about every 5 minutes how much longer till i get to see him and hold him. when i finally did get to hold him it was such an amazing moment one that i will never forget. I then started to try to breast feed which is not an easy task and he did not take to it well either.

My parents then came back after going to dinner to meet their grandchild, they also brought Laura to meet him too. unfortunately the pictures came out blurry as we forgot to turn the flash on. The boy did get some greats gifts and he was already spoiled.

Its crazy to think that one moment we are a family of 2 and then next a family of 3.

John and i spent most of the day in shock as to what was happening, and that we were going to be parents that day. We watched tv and played online and even had some visitors, as Renee brought John dinner and then my grandparents showed up to keep us company too.

As we set our heads down to sleep that night, we wondered how we got so lucky, and wondered what the next few months would hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment